Caernarfon RFC | 1st Team 32 - 8 Ruthin RFC | 1st Team

Match Report
30 April 2017 / Team News

Caernarfon 32 - Rhuthun 8

Conwy Land Rover

North Wales Plate, Semi Final.

This fairly uneventful encounter was decided during a decisive fifteen minute spell during the third quarter when the Cofis eased their way to victory with twenty unanswered points.

Rhuthun opened well and scored a penalty courtesy of Deian Lloyd Williams after just two minutes however the Cofi backline were looking hungry and threatening and when Mike Downey secured quick turnover ball, the backs were able to release speedster Dylan Gwyn on the wing who bemused his opposite number before grounding out wide. Aled Jones added an exclusive touch line conversion to improve the effort.

The Cofis kept up the pressure with lengthy kicks and a dominant scrum but one spilt ball brought Rhuthun back up field and after a series of forward drives the ball was eventually spun wide and wing Kyle Davies outpaced the cover to score and restore Rhuthun's lead after twenty minutes.

Rhuthun's veteran scrum half Rhys Hughes was effective at disrupting Cofi ball at the base of the scrum and the forwards were adept at holding up the ball carriers however they could not provide a stable enough platform to mount counter attacks from the resulting scrums. As half time was awaited a high ball hoisted from the Cofi twenty two was held on the wind to allow Dylan Gwyn to collect, sprint clear and then feed oncoming scrumhalf Bryn Granville who outsprinted the rest of the cover to score and nudge the Cofi's four points clear.

Caernarfon tackled determinedly at the beginning of the second half to keep Rhuthun within their own half, two out of three penalties conceded as a result were converted by Aled Jones to give the Cofis a ten point cushion. Soon after, when a possible counter attack from deep had failed the ball was recycled and the good timing of pass by Carwyn Roberts freed wing Ellis Roberts who very unselfishly after having escaped the clutches of the rearguard passed inside to free Bryn Granville once again for an easy run in. Jones's conversion was again successful as he was again two minutes later when another dart through midfield by Roberts found Iolo Hughes in support before that man Granville appeared on his shoulder once again to take the final pass and score his hat-trick of tries for the afternoon.

The final fifteen minutes saw Rhuthun attempt a comeback but with a strong Caernarfon bench deployed their success was limited and the match drew to a close with the Cofis having maintained their twenty four points lead.

Colwyn Bay await in the final at Eirias on the 13th, May.  

Players Fixture player info not published.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos