Llandudno RFC | 1st Team 27 - 10 Caernarfon RFC | 1st Team

Match Report
08 April 2018 / Team News

Llandudno 27 - Caernarfon 10

Llandudno by virtue of a strong opening ten minutes and a collective second wind for the final ten took the spoils in this league encounter. Caernarfon on the other hand will gain some confidence in the knowledge that they competed manfully even though their set pieces weren't functioning well.

Llandudno's Connor White upheld the art of hooking from yesteryear with two clean strikes against the head within the opening few minutes, thus setting the forward momentum that Tudno were able to capitalise upon. A forward rumble from a line out eventually saw flanker Bobby Davies pick up charge over after seven minutes. The lead was extended within three minutes when good inter-passing at pace along the tramlines saw scrum half Byron Davies collect the final pass to crash over. Both conversions on this occasion drifted wide.

Wing Jack Hughes nearly extended the lead at the corner flag but was bundled into touch inches short. Caernarfon were able to repel the charge from the resulting penalty and as a result appeared to gain confidence, becoming more aggressive at the breakdown and the tackling of flanker Mike Downey inspiring his team mates. One secured scrum ball was fed to stand in stand off Iolo Hughes who chipped over the on rushing defence, won the chase to hack on and collected off his toes before extending triumphantly over the try line. He duly brushed himself off to add the conversion.

During this period Caernarfon appeared to be the fitter outfit but Llandudno backs Lloyd Evans and Ryan Pike were proving to be a handful often breaking the first up tackle and causing confusion amongst the Cofi ranks.

The second half followed much of the same pattern with both teams cancelling each other out. One break by prop Lewis Jones put Llandudno on the front foot and Ryan Pike duly added three points from the tee after a high tackle infringement. Iolo Hughes responded in kind some ten minutes later to revert to the three point loosing margin. Caernarfon were in the ascendancy for the next fifteen minutes with good offloading and support play bringing the Cofis into the danger zone but the final telling passage could not be construed. Rhys Evans and Armando Morgan were particularly impressive during this period in terms of positional sense and handling skills.

However one long range clearance after thirty minutes of the second half brought Llandudno back into contention. A loose ball was hacked on and with more footballing skills and pace Ryan Pike won the chase to ground beyond the whitewash. He also added the conversion to stretch the advantage to ten points meaning that the Cofis were now adrift of a possible loosing bonus point.

On attempting to mount another telling attack the ball was lost and centre Ed Weston seized the opportunity to burst through midfield and feed Ryan Pike, who had remained in support and consequently had a clear run in to score and again convert for a personal points tally of seventeen.

The match was sadly curtailed by mutual consent a few minutes short of the full eighty when Caernarfon fullback Elis Roberts suffered an unfortunate injury.

The two teams are due to meet twice again during the rest of the season, one league and one cup final encounter and it may be that not too much could be read into this particular match as far as predicting the possible outcome of those encounters are concerned.

Players Fixture player info not published.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos