Caernarfon RFC | 1st Team 34 - 10 Mold RFC | 1st Team

Match Report
08 October 2018 / Team News

Caernarfon 34 - Mold 10

The final score line is not always reflective of the play witnessed over the full eighty minutes and that it could be argued that this match was a case in question. The first half in particular saw two sides endeavouring to play an open and enterprising brand of rugby but both defences were solid and untroubled for the first twenty minutes.

The Cofi second row pairing of Rhys Thomas and Ilan Davies made substantial early contributions with the latter prominent throughout, both with ball in hand and in the tackling department. Mold responded well after the opening ten minutes with one penalty effort rebounding off the upright. However Caernarfon persisted with keeping the ball in hand and had the lively Tomos Huw on the wing to run successfully out of defence on numerous occasions.

The lighter Cofi pack were functioning well and good yardage was gained from scrum pressure, indeed the first try stemmed from quick ball being collected by Number Eight Mac Jones, who drew the cover on the blind side before feeding winger Tomos Huw. He in turn found scrum half Gareth Patchett on the overlap and the defence was unhinged to allow Patchett to score a very well worked try in the corner after just over twenty minutes.

The lead was soon extended when Mac Jones once again went on a charge from the half way line, stand off Carwyn Roberts maintained the momentum and having sold a few dummies found flanker Sion Roberts on his inside. Roberts extended his stride and evaded the desperate efforts to halt his progress to score close to the posts. Aled Jones added the conversion to give the Cofis a decent twelve point cushion.

Mold to their credit came back strongly for the final fifteen minutes of the half. Prop Ethan Roberts got to the try line but successful grounding was prevented and soon afterwards a determined charge by wing Tom Davies looked as if it had resulted in a grounding against the upright. Such tiny margins that could have changed the complexion of the game entirely.

Fortune however favoured Mold at the beginning of the second period with centre Jack Pearson backing himself after breaking clear from some thirty five meters to score a fine individual try early on.

The Cofis should have responded immediately when an overlap was created but fullback Morgan Johnson opted correctly and intercepted the final pass. However Caernarfon began to dominate possession and had the slope and wind at their disposal. Another Mac Jones and Gareth Patchett link, finally released wing Dylan Gwyn to score out wide. Although the conversion was missed Aled Jones quickly made amends by converting a penalty to ensure a lead of more than two converted tries.

Replacement Jack McGuffie did well on his introduction to collect and shield as Mold sought a quick comeback but the Cofis had other ideas and stretched their lead when excellent interplay including Roberts, Armando Morgan and Mike Downey concluded with Dylan Gwyn again scoring and Jones once again adding the extras.

With time running out another Dylan Gwyn break nearly led to a try for replacement Derfel Thomas, however they camped in the danger zone and when Downey was held up short crisp handling including a through the legs pass by hooker Shaun Owen gave Dylan Gwyn a free run in to the corner to score his hat rick. Jones again converted.

Although beaten, Mold persisted to seek a way back and were finally able to capitalise on a Cofi error to maintain pressure and get their just reward when Matt Liversage powered over in the corner.

Players Fixture player info not published.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos