Pwllheli RFC | Youth Team 13 - 15 Caernarfon RFC | Youth Team
jac jones
Try 1
Bedwyr Jones
Try 1
Now Williams
Drop Goal 1
Owain Williams
1 Penalty
1 Try

Match Report
21 October 2018 / Team News

Pwllheli Youths 13 - Caernarfon Youths 15


Looking to put the disappointment of the previous weeks result behind them the Youths travelled down to Bodegroes to play old enemy, Pwllheli in conditions perfectly suited for rugby. What was to follow was a game full of incident - and a moment of controversy that will long be discussed.

For the first 10 minutes of the game it appeared that the visitors were still suffering a hangover from their previous game and, with Pwllheli in the ascendancy, the first points of the game came from the boot of winger Peryf ap Owain, giving the home side an early three point lead.

With the Cofis still trying to get a foothold in the game an attacking 'up and under' from Pwllheli found the safe hands of winger Owain Williams who powered into the homes side half, Pwllheli players bouncing off him like pinballs. Ably supported by the Cofis pack, play progressed deep into Pwllheli territory and a sustained period of pressure, coupled with some questionable refereeing decisions eventually saw the Pwllheli defence penalised and a penalty try award to the visitors.
Whilst the ensuing yellow card should have provided the impetus for further success, parity was soon provided when Caernarfon hooker, Cai Griffiths was given 10 minutes for a minor indiscretion. There was to be no further score in this evenly matched first half, giving the visitors a deserved 7-3 lead.

The second half started in much the same way as the first, with the home side soon encamped on the visitors try line. With both teams now back to full strength it was Caernarfon who were again reduced in number when lock Deio Terfel was shown yellow for an accidental high tackle. With the following penalty within metres of the home sides try line Pwllheli, on this occasion, were able to take full advantage of the extra man and, despite repelling wave after wave of forward drives, crossed over to regain the lead for the red and greens.

Play resumed with Pwllheli again looking to capitalise on the extra man, however a turnover in the middle of the park saw a strong run by outside centre Jac McGuffie take play deep into the home sides half. Desperate defence eventually saw a penalty award to Caernarfon, coolly slotted over by winger Williams and thus regaining a narrow two point advantage to the visitors.

Back came Pwllheli from the kick off, the visitors again finding themselves on their own try line, desperately defending wave after wave of attack. Despite some heroic defending, notably by flanker Llyr Evans, something had to give and Pwllheli eventually crossed over under the posts. With the extras looking a formality, it was the never-say-die attitude of winger Williams that saw him charge down the conversion and minimilise the home sides advantage.

With time running out it appeared that the young Cofis were about to suffer a second successive defeat, however another excellent break by McGuffie, this time supported by winger Jack Davies, saw a penalty award to the visitors. Despite being offered the opportunity to level the scores the visitors could obviously sense there was more to be had and a quickly taken tap saw further pressure on the home sides defence. Pwllheli's desperation soon saw a further penalty award, on this occasion winger Williams calling for the tee and indicating a kick at goal.

What was to follow was in incident rarely seen at any level of rugby.

With the ball set, and the entire Pwllheli team bunched up beneath the posts, Williams was seen to speak to the referee and, following a nod of the head by the official, promptly tap the ball forward off the tee, pick up and canter over the white wash unchallenged. While the entire the entire Pwllheli team (and supporters) were clearly incensed by the decision to allow the try the score was verified, giving the Cofis an unexpected two point lead.

After several minutes of heated discussion and with barely two minutes remaining, the game resumed with Pwllheli back within metres of the visitors try line. Was there to be one final score and further disappointment for the Cofis? Not today - some unbelievable defensive work by the entire Caernarfon team saw the referee blow the whistle and bring to an end a truly remarkable game - final score Pwllheli 13 - 15 Caernarfon.

Whilst this was an excellent collective performance by Caernarfon, based on territorial advantage and possession the victory was probably undeserved. Based on steely determination, excellent defence and one moment of inventive genius however, the visitors fully deserved their victory and with it the bragging rights in this fierce rivalry.

Hopefully this victory will provide the launch pad for the journey to Ruthin next week and a cup game that will see several Caernarfon players return from injury.


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos