Caernarfon RFC | 1st Team 67 - 7 Bro Ffestiniog RFC | 1st Team

Match Report
09 April 2017 / Team News

Caernarfon 67 - Bro Ffestiniog 7

The opening exchanges were not indicative of the twelve try score fest that was to follow in this league fixture. Indeed, Bro were confident enough with  ball in hand during the opening ten minutes but it was the quick thinking of Cofi scrumhalf Bryn Granville that opened the scoring following Caernarfon's initial four phase charge when he snipped blind to ground out wide. Aled Jones landed a fine conversion to improve the effort.

As the first quarter was drawing to a close Bro struck back when wing Gethin Jones outfoxed the defence, freed himself from numerous attempted tackles and scored close to the corner flag, another try that was classically added to by the boot of Mathew Williams. This riposte stirred the Cofis to life, led admirably by stand off Carwyn Roberts who soon showed that the Bro rearguard could be breached. One of his many breaks found Mike Downey in support and the quick feed freed wing Ellis Roberts to score. Next to cross was ever improving prop Armando Morgan who's support play granted him a fully deserved touchdown.

The game ended as a contest when Caernarfon were able to add another two tries prior to the halftime whistle. Derfel Thomas broke free from a forward charge in centre field and the quick release was ceased upon by Griff Ifor who disregarded the awaiting overlap to charge over. With half  time approaching strong running Mac Jones nearly got on the scoreboard but on being tackled just short had the presence of mind to offload to supporting livewire Bryn Granville, for the scrumhalf to run in unhindered and to see the effort being improved by Aled Jones to draw the half to a close with the Cofis 29 points to 7 to the good.

The second half followed the same pattern despite the best efforts of the Bro faithful. Dewi James carried well from the base of scrums and Stephen Lay charged with purpose but ball was too often coughed up, so no sustained period of pressure could be maintained. Caernarfon were by contrast relishing the supply that came their way with a neat backline interchange enabling Dylan Gwyn to outpace the defence for the opening try of the half. There followed, probably the try of the match as a clearance kick was fielded by replacement and stalwart Rhys Evans who having seen the ball move via Rhobat John and Bryn Granville was yet again at hand to collect and score. Another clearance effort was parried by Griff Ifor and on being held up short found Carwyn Roberts in support to cross the whitewash. The timing of passes was bewildering the defence with Mike Downey's opening try being a good example. Morgan fielded a clearance and with the aid of Granville and Roberts the final pass granted the flanker his try.

Simon Kalafusz and Rhodri Williams were tenacious in the tackle for Bro and debutant hooker Ynyr Woolway  was only found wanting in the technical aspect of lineout work. Changes saw the Cofi scrum dominant as Downey was able to pick up and score from five metres but minutes later when uncontested scrums were introduced the intensity lessened and only one try was added during the final fifteen minutes. On this occasion a series of forward drives finally saw Gareth Pritchard collect and charge over. Aled Jones missed the final conversion effort but had been successful with four out of five previously during the half.

A number of matches in the league of late have seen score lines that do very little to promote the league as a competitive entity, Caernarfon will be hoping and fairly confident if in this mode that their next encounter with current Champions Pwllheli will not follow such a trend.


Players Fixture player info not published.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos