Caernarfon RFC | 1st Team 85 - 12 Colwyn Bay RFC | 1st Team

Match Report
26 March 2017 / Team News

Caernarfon 85 - Colwyn Bay 12


A week is a long time in rugby!! On their last outing nothing went right for the Cofis, but by contrast on this occasion everything went their way. Colwyn Bay on the other hand, who are going through a transitional period, found it difficult to contain Caernarfon’s sustained attacking approach.

The first points were recorded within the opening three minutes when a Jordan Scott charge and quick release granted centre Adam Thomas a touchdown that was bettered via Aled Jones’s conversion. A number of passes were dropped by both sides afterwards, as an effort was made by both teams to spread the ball wide. However none of these were in the danger zone and neither side was able to capitalise.

Standoff Carwyn Roberts was on song for the Cofis being strong and incisive as he showed on twelve minutes when a mid field break from forty meters saw him power over in the left hand corner. Minutes later he combined effectively from deep to give fullback Aled Jones the scoring pass to ground in the same corner.

The Bay were reliant on the guile of standoff Pat Atkinson to create whilst Dewi Hughes made a nuisance of himself when having adopted the Italian style rucking tactic occasionally effectively. Soon though, Roberts again broke free but the inside pass was not gathered cleanly, however Bay’s attempted clearance was fielded by Aled Jones and he set off on a twenty two meter dash that evaded the rearguard to score and convert a fine individual effort.

The scoreboard kept ticking over straight from the kickoff as a charge out of defence again saw Roberts feeding Jordan Scott who’s power ensured another grounding that together with another Jones conversion saw the thirty point barrier being crossed. To their credit however Colwyn Bay kept plugging away with scrum half Paul Thompson urging his forwards ever onwards and working well in tandem with Atkinson at 10. It was the quick thinking of Atkinson in taking a quick tap penalty and applying the required pressure on the through chip that allowed centre Connor Harding to win the chase for the grounding to finally ensure points on the board for Colwyn Bay and conclude the first half’s proceedings.

Caernarfon attacked from the restart and although initially halted, when they regained possession they made no mistake as Roberts again found a support player at hand, on this occasion being Derfel Thomas to touch down. A similar scenario minutes later saw replacement Griff Ifor on the score sheet followed by one of the best constructed tries of the afternoon that saw Caernarfon break out of defence and interlink the length of the field before impressive ball carrying prop Armando Morgan fed Jordan Scott who claimed his second touchdown.

Another replacement, Mac Jones picked up a lost ball and fended off the defenders in his way to score the fourth of the half. Liam Hughes then broke out of defence and via Derfel Thomas put hooker Gareth Pritchard in for the tenth Cofi try of the afternoon.

There followed a searing 70 metre break out of defence by winger Dylan Gwyn only to be equalled by the classic chase and overhaul by counterpart Alex Metcalf inches from the try line. However Cai Jones was at hand to gather the pop pass and add to Bay’s woes.

Metcalf’s heroics inspired Colwyn Bay to muster one other final effort and from a scrum some ten metres out they went blind to feed playmaker Atkinson who duly squeezed in at the corner and also struck a fine touchline conversion.

The final ten minutes however belonged to Caernarfon fullback  

Aled Jones as he twice outfoxed the defence to score and convert two further tries, thus bringing his personal points tally for the afternoon to forty, courtesy of having converted five from six of the earlier second half tries in addition to the others already mentioned.

Players Fixture player info not published.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos