Colwyn Bay RFC | 1st Team 5 - 34 Caernarfon RFC | 1st Team

Match Report
15 May 2017 / Team News

Match report - Conwy Land Rover North Wales Senior Plate Final

Caernarfon 34   Colwyn Bay  5.


Caernarfon took the honours and accolade after this encounter following an effective first half display that saw them amass twenty unanswered points. Colwyn Bay, to their credit, rallied well during the second period but weren't quite clinical enough in the red zone to trouble the Cofis.

After a competitive opening Caernarfon began to use their backs to good effect, thus creating space for their speedy wingers to gain valuable yardage. Forwards Ilan Davies and Gruff Ifor also secured quick turnover ball to hamper Colwyn Bay from getting any forward momentum.

Fullback Aled Jones opened the scoring with a sweetly struck penalty a feat he repeated from near the halfway line a few minutes later to establish a six point cushion. Wings Dylan Gwyn and Ellis Roberts had posed a constant threat out wide, beating the first up tackler only to be collared later. However with twenty minutes played a move from deep brought Aled Jones on to the ball at pace and the timing of the pass was sufficient to put Ellis Roberts in space and step inside the final defender to score. Jones continued with his kicking prowess to stretch the lead to thirteen points.

Minutes later Dylan Gwyn stepped infield and with the help of supporting cast Gruff Ifor, Dafydd Lloyd Hughes and finally Ellis Roberts again, the try line was breached to give the Cofis a fairly firm hold on proceedings. Aled Jones again added the extras.

Colwyn Bay made a stern effort to get themselves back in contention before half time with centre Cal Morris and wing Matt Jones aggressive and determined with ball in hand but Caernarfon defended in numbers and coped with the threat posed.

During the third quarter Colwyn Bay were dominant territorially with lineout ploys working well to establish an attacking platform. One effort ended with the ball being held up whilst another saw the ball squirm free over the try line. The Cofis on the other hand made their first incursion into Bay's danger zone count. Replacement fullback Dominic Yau gained ground along the touch line before being bundled into touch and although Colwyn Bay had secured the ball from the resulting lineout it was stolen and quickly fed to standoff Carwyn Roberts who was able to power over from close range. Yau on this occasion added the conversion with ten minutes remaining.

Colwyn Bay to their credit mounted one other telling attack and after having been camped near the Cofi try line following a series of close quarter surges prop Krystan Yeomans detached himself and ploughed over in the corner.

However there was still enough time for the Cofis to venture back up field and following a series of surges by Mac Jones and Gareth Pritchard the ball finally fell into the hands of replacement second row Ieuan Owen who crashed over between the sticks to draw proceedings to a close. Dominic Yau's conversion granted a final score of  34 points to 5 in Caernarfon's favour and the Cofi celebrations could begin in earnest.

Players Fixture player info not published.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos